Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Diary of a Sleep Deprived Mom

So, you would think that my kids would sleep through the night, right? WRONG!
Miley is finally getting to the point now where 80% of the time she does sleep through the night, finally! At 2 and a half. But Cooper- we aren’t anywhere near sleeping through the night.

Here is my diary of a sleep deprived mom!

Last night- I nursed Cooper at 5, then at 5:30 he had a half a cup of baby food mixed garden vegetables with Probiotic oatmeal mixed in to thicken it up. 2-3 tablespoons of our dinner diced and chopped up with my hand grinder, which consisted of whole wheat noodles, hamburger, and tomato sauce (which he loved!) and then 2 tablespoons of baby food peaches. You would think his little tummy would be full until morning! Not the case with my little man.

Last night he was up at 11:30, nursed. Up again at 3:45 or 4 (I start to lose track of time at that time of the morning) and I nursed him, again- he was screaming like he hadn’t eaten in years! Then he was quite squirmy and I realized he had peed through his diaper, so at 4:30 I changed his diaper and removed his clothes but was too tired to get something new out so I just snuggled him in his blanket and cuddled up with him in my bed, which he thought was funny. After a half hour of him squirming around and laughing and playing with his pillow and stuffed animal I finally said it was time to go to his bed again. I snuggled him up and turned on his music and went back to bed, 10 minutes later I had to go back in there and cover him back up and put the paci back in and he FINALLY went back to sleep, this being 5:15am now. 5:30- alarm goes off- I hit snooze until 5:50 then I’m up for the day.

Tonight’s changes- apparently I cannot use Huggie diapers at night, he seems to pee out of them. I had been using Parent’s Choice and never had an issue but had leftover Huggie’s from when Miley was in them- so I’m using them up. I did get a package of the Target brand diapers (just because I was there and needed some) to give them a try, hopefully we have better results tonight. Otherwise, I’m back to Parent’s Choice for good.

I will say the one nice thing about Cooper is that when I put him down for bed at night he wants to be put down awake and falls asleep quickly all on his own. Miley NEVER did this. But, when it is the middle of the night he wants to be in my bed after he nurses, and at this point of the game, I just do it because I’m getting to exhausted and will do whatever needs to be done so we can all get some sleep. I would let him cry it out in the middle of the night when I try putting him back to his crib after we nurse but that is the one down fall to sharing a room, Miley WILL wake up and I’ll end up with her in my bed. So, for now, this is what works for us. And NO- I am NOT ready to move Miley all the way downstairs, so don’t bring it up.

I would just like to get to the point where Coop only wakes up once a night…. Some day.

I want to give props to myself though- I get to work every day, I’m on time to 10 minutes late, but hey- I find that to be pretty impressive when other people seem to always been an hour or more late, consistently! Seriously- who is an HOUR late to work EVERY day! And I still have the energy to work full time and get home and devote my entire evening to my two bundles of joy! God really was creative when he made Woman- As a Mom, I feel invincible!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mindi,
All three of my kids still get up at night. Avery usually trys to crawl into bed with us, but we just have to put her back in her bed. At almost 15 months old Charlie usually sleeps through the night, and Breck almost always gets up once if not twice (or three times) to nurse. So, you are not alone... :)
Courtney

Mindi Kay said...

It's comforting knowing I'm not the only one up at the wee hours of the night! What we do for our kiddos!

Shelly Pagel said...

I have the opposite-- Stella is now only waking up once to eat but Henry gets up every night crying for mom or dad and comes into our bed everynight! I hear from all my mom friends- it gets better and they don't do this forever! (and lord I hope that's true!) one day all the moms in the world WILL get a good night sleep! : )

Jodi Duden-Clare said...

Does he really need to nurse twice at night? Maybe Taylor could give him a bottle of water?? Maybe he's just thirsty and not really hungry? If he loved the tomato sauce, there's a lot of sodium in that and he may just need something to drink. What does your doctor say? Maybe they could give some good advice?