Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Crohn's Disease

Well, as some of you may or may not know I have been pretty sick lately. Everyone was thinking it was stress or anxiety from the wedding planning but I knew by the way I was feeling that stress wasn't the reason. I had been seeing my doctor for 2 weeks trying to reveal something that was the matter with me, doing a scope down my throat and first thinking the pain was just from a sore in my esophagus but that turned out not to be the case because after 4 days of that diagnosis the pain came back. I ended up in the ER due to the increasing pain and a fever. While in the ER I had a CT scan done of my stomach area and it turned out that my small intestine was so inflamed you couldn't even see the other organs in that area. So they sent me home on some pain pills and had me prepare for my colonoscopy the following day. The pain of that exam was very intense due to how inflamed my intestine was but I made it through and the doctor was amazed with what he found. I had several little ulcers in the lining of my small intestine where it connects to my colon and by seeing that my doctor knew it was Crohn's disease.

Now, a week later, I am still taking a lot of medication to help bring down the inflamation but I am feeling better and better with each passing day. Once we get it under control I will take a controller medication for the rest of my life to help prevent any more flare ups, along with eating a diet more suitable for people with Crohn's- meaning no lettuce, corn, seeds, nuts, onions, celery and popcorn. I guess those foods are harder for the small intestine to pass. Crohn's disease is normally a genetic disease but I seem to be the first in the family to have it.

I am feeling much better knowing what is wrong with me and knowing that it is something that I can take care of and treat.....its not curable but its treatable, so that's enough for me. Now, its on to the wedding...I can't believe that its already only 17 days away!!!

If you are interested in learning about Crohn's disease check out this website, it's full of helpful and interesting information. http://www.crohnsandme.com/Default1.asp

No comments: