Sunday, April 26, 2009

Time Outs

Our new thing with Miss Miley, sad to say, is Time Out. I know, she's only 1, but she is a smart 1 and she needs to start learning now when her behavior is unacceptable. I am hoping that by showing her now at an early age we can shape her into being a well/better behaved toddler/little lady. She just started this thing that when she gets mad she pulls your hair and hits you in the face, and sometimes she even laughs at you after she freaks out (kind of devilish) and that just doesn't settle in my book. 1) it really hurts and 2) I would hate for her to do that to someone else. She did it to Nana this weekend and knocked her glasses off and I felt terrible so she got a timeout immediately. I just sit her on the floor off by herself, but nearby so I can keep an eye on her, just far enough out of reach so she understands and feels separated. She throws a fit but she doesn't move, she lays down on the ground and screams but she doesn't get up and doesn't disobey us. She stays there for 1 minute and then we go back over and pick her up and she is ready for a hug as to say sorry and we tell her that hitting and pulling hair is not nice and she can't do that. So far, it seems to be working, she seems to understand what timeouts are when we say the word and that we will always go and hug her when its over. We just started it this weekend so she hasn't quite learned that she can't pull hair and hit, but I am assuming that lesson will take awhile to understand. But hopefully starting timeouts early enough will lead to a better behaved child later on. Nana is a softy when it comes to time outs, today I had to tell her that she couldn't go get Miley for a full minute, even though she was the victim of Miley's tantrum, she had a hard time listening to her scream, where me, Taylor and Bumpa just laugh it off, well, trying not to laugh in front of her. I try not to think too emotionally about it, if I think of it too much it pulls on my heart strings but I just have to remember how badly my head is throbbing after she just pulled a handful of hair out of it and that this is for the best, hopefully we won't even have to worry about timeouts in the near future, maybe she'll just figure out what is good and what is bad and they will just be few and far between, wishful thinking?? :)

Well- enough of the 'Mean Mommy' stuff- here are some recent photos of Miss Miley Kay
Hanging out on her favorite new couch


Drinking out of her favorite HOT DOG cup

At the Boogie




What a beautiful, peaceful sleeping baby, I just want to hug her up in this photo!

1 comment:

Shelly Pagel said...

must be the age...Henry throws his head back on a wall if he's sitting or on you if he's on our lap or anything when he gets mad... sometimes he hits too, he doesn't hit often anymore- I just don't think he thinks it's being bad, but more being funny. THe head banging thing is what I hate.. probably similar to Miley's hair pulling. I think they just want to tell us things so bad and can't... they'll grow out of it though!