Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Birth Story- As Told By Me

I just realized that I haven't taken the time to tell you the Birth Story from my angle. Taylor did a very good job in his but I know, Mom to Mom, some like to hear it from the Momma.

It all started out on Friday night and I had a fun evening planned. Jackie and I went and got pedicures as a little treat for ourselves and we went all out and did the Spa pedicure treatment and the ladies there loved working on two hugly pregnant chicks and really spent a lot of time massaging our feet and legs, it was very relaxing and what we both needed. Then we headed to the mall to do some walking and a little shopping with Kelly and ended the evening at Olive Garden for a delcious meal and some great laughs!

Saturday morning I headed to Lookin' Good and got a cut and color, it had been since APRIL since I did that! I was just loving the pampering.

Monday I had an appointment at the chiropractor and to meet with the massage therapist and I told her to focus on my feet and ankles and to hit all the pressure points she could because I knew this baby was ready to come out! Well, much to my surprise, it actually worked!!! My contractions started in around 5pm and were 20 minutes apart. They stayed that way all through the night and Tuesday morning I woke up at 5am and they were around 8 minutes apart! With us having a big snow storm to battle with I decided to take a shower and get things ready as I knew it would take us awhile to get to Red Wing if things started to pick up even more. After my shower they went back to 15 minutes apart and stayed that way all through the morning. Taylor's school was two hours delayed and he decided to just call in and stay home as something was happening and I didn't want to be home alone, especially with the snow and knowing how long it would take Taylor to get home if I needed him.

Through the morning I could feel the baby dropping lower and lower and I went through the cleaning out process and I decided to call the hospital to see what they had to say. They wanted me to come in at 11 and meet with the doctor to see if things were progressing. Of course, on the way to the hospital things slowed down even more. She checked me and said that his head was so low it was very hard to check me, and painful! She stripped my membranes and told me to go walking to see if things would pick up again.

We walked around Menards, Wal-Mart, sat at Caribou for awhile to relax and lastly headed to Target. Things were still 15 minutes apart so I called in to see what they had to say. They wanted me to come in at 5pm for observation and it turned out the contractions were 4 minutes apart so they admitted me. I labored naturally all evening and at 2am they went to 5 minutes and were very weak. They said my cervix was behind his head and having a hard time flipping to the front so they wanted me to get some sleep to see if relaxing would help things move. At 5am I woke up and started walking around and got them going again but only to 5 minutes. By 9am we had a conversation with the doctor and she said I could go home and see if relaxing at home would get things going or if I wanted to try a bit of pitocin and then break my water and go from there. After discussing things with Taylor we decided going home without a baby was the last thing we wanted to do. They hooked me up to the pitocin and in the words of the doctor, they could have just dabbed some behind my ears like perfume, I hardly had any and I started contracting like crazy all on my own. They broke my water and nothing came out and she said it was because he was so low and she was preparing to get a shower once I delivered him! By noon the contractions were finally too much for me to take and I opted for an epidural as I was at 6cm. Shortly after I got the epidural and my body relaxed we heard my cervix flip through the monitor and my water gushed out! An hour later I started feeling all kinds of pressure and my mom could see it in my face that I was feeling something.

She wanted to get the nurse but I said she was coming in in 10 minutes anyway and I'd just wait. When she came in I told her what I was feeling and she went to check me and said Oh, we have a head! They called the doctor in right away and they rushed to get things ready and in 3 pushes we had ourselves a baby boy!!! No tearing or anything! So, we were at the hospital longer than I had hoped but once I got just a little bit of medicine to help put some intensity behind things I went super fast and had a quick delivery.
Late on Tuesday night in between contractions

Just had decided we were going to try the pitocin, waiting for the nurse to hook me up.


It's time to push!!!!


My Baby Boy Cooper!!

1 comment:

Angie said...

Great job, Mindi!