Tuesday, December 11, 2007

36 Weeks

Well- I'm still pregnant- which is a good thing, who would have thought that I would have successfully made it to the safe zone a month ago when I was dealing with all that pre-term contraction stuff. But we made it, so things are good! She must have known that I stand strongly about breastfeeding and she just needed to be able to latch on well and figure out that sucking thing before she comes out!

I hope my blood pressure stays this way for the rest of my life-- I'm almost 37 weeks pregnant- and you'll never guess what my blood pressure was- 94/56!! Can you believe it!!!

I had my weekly appointment last night- dilation is about the same- maybe 1cm now- effacement is the same but she has really moved down into my pelvis- she is sitting at 0 station which means she is engaged!!! :) I had NO idea what the whole station thing was until last week so for those of you who don't quite understand it I have added some info I found on the net about it.

The concept of "station" denotes the degree of engagement of the fetal head as it navigates the maternal pelvis. Station is the relationship of the presentng part to an imaginary line drawn between the ischial spines of the pelvis. The ischial spines are two bony prominences that demarcate the middle of the pelvis.

Although we assess station during the last weeks of prenatal care (or in the case of preterm labor), its most frequent application is in labor. Progress in labor is assessed by means of several parameters, namely cervical consistency (soft to firm), cervical effacement (shortening), cervical position (posterior, anterior, or mid), cervical dilatation (0 to 10 cm) and station (-4 which is just coming into the pelvis to +4 station which is on the perineum or ready to be born). When the top of the fetal head arrives at the level of the ischial spines, the baby is said to be at 0 station or "engaged.”

Primigravidas (women having their first baby) typically engage before labor and may enter labor at -1, 0 or even +1 station.

Multigravidas (women having their second or greater baby) often engage during labor.

http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregnancy/plabor/0,,midwife_8nbb,00.html


So- I'm still holding strong- I'll be 37 weeks on Friday which means technically she'll be full term, so now, only time will tell.

Taylor was thrown a baby shower this last week at school, again, the whole Math Department was to have a meeting Friday afternoon and when he arrived their meeting was a surprise shower for him! They had yummy bars and gifts for him, he said it was a lot of fun! The best thing was our Rainforest Jumperoo! I was PUMPED to see that, that thing is so neat! The lady who picked it out for us has a little one and she said that is her favorite toy and is just the neatest thing! I made Taylor set it up already because I wanted to see it! Don't worry- it folds up nicely and can be stored away in a closet easily! :)

1 comment:

Kim Sjoquist said...

What a great thing for Taylor to have had a shower. That's awesome! What a great idea. I can't wait for your little one to get here so I can see plenty of photos!